Shri Narsobachi Wadi Datta Mandir
A small town Narsobawadi also called as Narsobachi Wadi, is very famous for the Hindu Temple of Shri Dattatreya, based in taluka Shirol which comes in Kolhapur district and in the state of Maharashtra.
The town Narsobawadi got its name from the name of ‘Shri Narasimha Saraswati’. Shri Narasimha Saraswati was the incarnation of Lord Shri Dattatreya in the year 1378 to 1458 and believed to have lived in Narsobachi Wadi.
The temple is situated on the bank of a river which is the meeting of the two rivers Panchganga and Krishna. The temple is a major pilgrim spot for many Lord Datta devotee.
Shri Lord Dattatreya in his Narasimha Saraswati incarnation did meditation nearly about 12 years as per reference from the text Shri Gurucharitra. The life story of Shri Narasimha Saraswati, his philosophy, and related stories are described in Shri Guru Charitra.
In this temple, the devotee will find there are no images or idols here but there are two padukas or slippers which immortalize his great avatar.
History of Narsobachi Wadi Temple
The history of Narsobachi Wadi is found in Guru charita which is very ancient Hindu literature.
Following is an extract from Guru Charitra Chapter 18:
Sri Narasimha Saraswati visited the Pancha Ganga Sagar. Here is the temple of Amareshwar on the other bank of a river and hence the place is called as Amarapur. Nearby is the Sakti Teertha, where reside Sixty-four Yogini Shaktis, serving and worshipping Amareshwar, but unseen by others.
Nearby was Papa Vinasini and other holy Teerthas. Sri Krishna Saraswati stayed at Amarapur for 12 years.
This place came to be later called as Narsobawadi (Narsobachi Wadi), after Sri Narasimha Saraswati.
From Guru Charitra Chapter 19:
“I am leaving my Padukas here. I will be ever present where my Padukas are worshipped. Whatever wishes to be prayed for, offering worship to the Padukas, they will be granted and fulfilled.” – Sri Narasimha Saraswati.
It is really worth to be present during the mahapuja to Shri Narasimha Saraswati padukas in the afternoon with abhisheka to padukas. The priests will bring the water from Panchaganga Sangam by forming a line in a traditional way from the river to temple to perform Mahapuja.
If you are really inclined towards spirituality then observing this Puja would give you divine bliss.
Shri Narsobachi Wadi Temple Daily Schedule
05.00 – Kakad Aarti and Paduka Puja
08.00 to 12.00 – Rudrabhishek
12.30 to 13.30 – Maha Puja, Aarti
15.00 to 16.00 – Pavamana Sookta Parayan
19.30 – Dhoop Aarti
20.00 – Palkhi
22.00 – Shej Aarti
(after the Shej Aarti the temple is closed for devotees)
Major Festivals celebrated at Narsobachi Wadi Temple
1) Magh Sudha Purnima to Magh Vadhya Panchami (February): Shri Dattadeva’s attainment of salvation is celebrated with the reading of the Puranas, and singing of the holy songs.
Magh Vadhya Chaturdashi (the 14th day of the Magh month): pujas and Abhishek is done.
2) Chaitra Shuddha Prathama (the festival of Gudi Padwa – or new year in March/April) the new calendar is read out in front of Shri Datta Maharaj.
3) Chaitra Shuddha – Rama Navami festival (March/April): from the first day of the month to the ninth day, the tradition has been to read out from the Puranas, do the pujas, and read out the story of the birth of Lord Rama.
4) Chaitra, Vaishakh and Shravan months (March/ April, April/May, and August/September); from the morning 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Rudra-Abhishek of Shri Datta Maharaj is done by the devotees themselves. This is followed by naivedya and Aarti.
5) Vaishakh (April/May)month- 27th day: Celebration of the attainment of salvation of Shri Gopal Swami Maharaj.
6) Vaishakh (April/May) and Jeshta months (June): as certain occasions arise, during the daytime the murti of Shri Dattadeva is worshipped by keeping a constant flow (of water/milk) on it. At night time Pavamana and panch sukta are recited, Abhishek is done by the priests.
7) Bhadrapad Shuddha Chathurthi (September): on Ganesh Chaturthi, the festivities of the birth of Shripad ShriVallabh take place.
8) Ashwin-Sudha ek to Shuddha-daha (October, the first day to the tenth day of the month of Ashwin): Sharad Navratri is celebrated. From the tenth day onwards the Palanquin festivities of Narsinha Saraswati Shri Dattadeva begin.
9) Aswin vadhya shashthi to Ashwin barah (from the seventh to the twelfth day of the month of Ashwin): Guru Dwadashi utsav i.e. the celebration of the attainment of salvation of Shri Narsinha Saraswati Swami Maharaj takes place.
10) Deepavali utsav Ashwin vadhya chaturdashi to Kartik Sudha Pancahami (from the 14th day of the month of Ashwin to the 15th day of Kartik); in the morning the perfumed holy bath of the murti of Shri Dattadeva and mahapuja is done.
11) Kartik Shuddha Dwadashi (the twelfth day of the month of Kartik): Tulsi Vivah utsav.
12) Margshirsh Shuddha shashthi to paurnima (December- the 7th day to the 15th day of the month of margashirsh) Datta jayanti utsav _ festivities of the birth of Lord Dattadeva take place.
13) Poush Shuddha Dwithiya (January- the second day of the month of Poush): the birth festivities of Shri Narsinha Saraswati take place. Naivedam , Maha Puja. Kirtan(holy songs),
take place continuously for 7 days.
All these festivities are carried out as per the latest information.
How to reach Narsobachi Wadi Temple Datta Mandir
From Hyderabad: Hyderabad to Kolhapur Express train is available. Kolhapur to Narsobawadi buses are available for every one hour (around 52 km).
From Chennai: There are no direct trains but the best way is to reach Pune and from Pune, you would have multiple options via Rail and road to reach Kolhapur.
From Bangalore: The train “Rani Chennamma Express” is available from Bangalore to Kolhapur. From there one can reach to Narsobawadi.
From New Delhi: H.Nizamuddin to Kolhapur Super Fast express is available.
Dadar to Jayasingpur station. JaiSinghpur to Narsobachiwadi Distance 14 km. Autorikshaws/city buses are available to reach Narsobawadi.
There are a lot of buses from Pune (Swargate) to Kolhapur and the nearest and biggest city to Narsobachiwadi are Kolhapur and Sangali.
From Sangli city the Narsobawadi is around 22 KM, once can drive or even private vehicles like Jeeps, Sumo will be available. Local transportation includes auto rickshaws and city buses from Miraj (around 16 km), ST bus from Kolhapur (around 52 km) are also available.
Also, from Sangli Bus Stand one can board ST buses to Kurundwad and can get down at Narsobawadi.
For people coming from Karnataka like Nipani or Belgaum come first to Kurundwad (1 km from Narsobawadi).
Kolhapur – Ichalkaranji – Kurundwad – Narsobawadi, Kolhapur – Jaysingpur – Shirol – Narsobawadi.
Miraj – Shirol – Narsobawadi,
Nipani – Borgaon – Herwad – Kurundwad – Narsobawadi,
Belgaum – Nipani – Chikodi- Raibag- Jalalpur-Borgaon – Herwad – Kurundwad – Narsobawadi.
Kolhapur Airport is the nearest airport which connects to Major cities in India.
Where to Stay at Narsobachi Wadi Temple
Tourist will find various options to stay to Narsobawadi including budget hotels and lodges with AC and Non-AC accommodation with good boarding facilities. With regard to Bhakta Niwas, there is an office inside the temple, as soon as you enter, where you can find the location of Bhakta Niwas.
Where to eat
You will find a lot of eateries at Narsobawadi offering a variety of vegetarian food, south Indian dishes, Chinese dishes and local snack item. Being a holy place only vegetarian food is available at this place.
Contact Details of the Temple
Shree Kshetra Narsobawadi
Shree Nrisinnsaraswati Swami Datta Dev Sansthan
Taluka : Shirol, District : Kolhapur
Pincode : 416104.
Contact Numbers : + 91 2322 270064 / 270501 / 270006